Sunday, February 28, 2010

Inventing the University

After reading the article, I learned few things from the article and the class activity. One thing I got a deeper meaning of was the term 'commonplace'. At first, I thought it meant gathering knowledge from where you stand. From the activity we had in class, the actual meaning of the term is being around people who have the same knowledge as you do so conversation being held could be understandable. A commonplace is when a group of people gather and talk about the same topic let's say video games. For the people in that group, the terms such as 'noob', 'pwn' teabag', 'ftw' would be some terms the people in the group would understand. If a person of a different background lets say a scientist, he would be completely clueless as to what they are talking about. Commonplaces are groups of people who gather together to talk about similar things and understand the meaning of the conversation.

The article also discusses a term called 'writer based'. The definition the article has given is how a writer writes his essay or paper and thinks about what the reader will want to question or respond to a text. this term is pretty much saying when a writer writes, he basically knows what to type up or say so when the authors reader reads the text, there won't be any questions for the reader to ask the author. I would say this technique would be of good use for people who want to achieve in life as a writer. This technique would leave your readers with questions answered and wanting to continue with your style of writing. It's also a good idea to keep in mind that when you write up an essay or text, you are writing it for someone and they will have questions if your thesis isn't really being answered. It is a nice habit to have a mind set that when you are writing, you are writing for an audience not just a person sitting down and writing gibberish.

One last thing that I recall from the article was 'discourse'. This term is pretty much like the term 'code switching', but on paper. It's pretty much when you type up papers and talk in chats. I remember when I was in high school, I used some weird words when I typed in chat. I used words like 'wen', 'lik', 'kno', 'dat' I really had a weird phase back then, but i out grew it and started to fully type out my words. It was funny sometimes cause I would type up papers and sometimes i didn't really overlook the paper and see how many shortened words I had and I would just laugh at myself. Students in high school or college this have this mentality to change the way they talk whether it's in person or on paper. It's really amazing to see when people who you think may have really small knowledge, but when you see them type up a paper you become really surprised to the amount of big words they use.

No comments:

Post a Comment