Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life Ruined by...plagiarism ?

After reading Gladwell's article, I felt upset for the life of Dorthy Lewis. the reason for being for this emotion is not the fact that Lewis' personal life was published in a theatrical, but the fact that her personal issues were included in the play. I'll be honest, I, myself, plagiarize depending on the topic and if i just feel lazy to read an article and discuss upon it with my own words, but i have limits as to what I should and should not plagiarize. Unlike Bryony Lavery, I have some sense of sympathy for someone else's life. It also seemed like Lavery published this story just to get fame and notification around the world. If Lavery were to have asked Lewis if publishing her life in theater was appropriate, I'm sure Lewis would have been fine with it, with the work of some editing. I can say that the action of Lavery were a bit over the top, but in a sense still kept the identity of the actual character hidden. In a sense,this kind of plagiarism falls between the line of being good and bad. Good, Lavery had the courtesy to protect the image of the actual people; bad, the actual person got to see their life played out on stage.

Another topic that I thought was a good one in the reading was the plagiarism of music creativity. I had no clue that there were so many songs that had similar samples and notes from other songs. I got really curious when I read the part where Gladwell mentioned the base line of "Angel" by Shaggy had the same bass line as "The Joker" by the Steve Miller band. I actually looked up these two songs on youtube to come to my surprise that both songs do have the same base line. Just to put this out there, I was kind of glad that I read this piece to understand the music industry more, but the rapper artist and so called "genius" Kanye West, yeah, I hate him. There I said it, it's my opinion and there's nothing no one out there can change my mind. I mean sure he does make some good sounding songs, but knowing that he took the samplings and hooks from other songs, put in some of his own twists, and then call it his work and title himself a genius, yeah i think not. I mean if he really was a so called "genius" then why doesn't he make up his own samples and beats and if he were to do that THEN and only THEN would I have more respect for him. I also find it funny how some artists say that their work was plagiarized when, in truth, they may have stolen the work from someone else. I also give props to that one professor in New York for being one heck of a lawyer. He is a music teacher and yet here he is protecting these artist's from law suits trying to sue the artist(s) for theft.

All in all, I thought this article was a pretty good one and taught me some new laws for the music industry.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's cool that you went and looked up the particular songs mentioned in the article. I know if I were a musician, I would be constantly worried, wondering whether I was coming up with new stuff on my own, or unintentionally copying something I'd heard before!

    ReplyDelete